Selborne

Selborne is a village steeped in history, there is so much more to see and explore, besides the home of Gilbert White…

Selborne a view of the village
Selborne Village

Selborne Parish is situated 4.5 miles from the town of Alton. It sits between a chalk hangar and a stream that eventually flows into the River Wey. The springs of clean chalk filtered water, probably gave rise to the settlement of Selborne.

In earlier times, it’s economy was centered on agriculture. The chalk hills and clay bottoms, was excellent for growing  hops for brewing and hop kilns littered the area.

The geology of the Upper Greensand formation gave the village a robust building material and the remains of a quarry are still evident. The gault clay provided natural material for another occupational acivity, brick making. The Upper Greensand stone was used to line the kilns.

History Selborne:

  • Wealden village once set in woodland, Woolmer Forest, with open common
  • Archaeological evidence of Mesolithic and Neolithic settlement
  • Bronze age barrows in vicinity
  • Selborne Manor held by the King prior to Domesday
  • Foundation of Selborne Priory AD 1231
  • Knights Templar preceptory founded at nearby Southerington
  • Brickworks established by C15th
  • Gilbert White, naturalist becomes curate of St Marys mid C18th
  • Swing riot in Selborne 1830

Hampshire Church:

  • St Mary AD 1180
  • Local stone known as ‘clunch’ used throughout the Norman nave
  • White family memorials including one to Gilbert White, naturalist

Historic Buildings / Monuments:

St Mary’s Church. Called a Royal Foundation church because it is thought that the land the upon which it stands was given by Edith, the wife of Edward the Confessor. The church as it stands at present, was built AD1180. It replaced a former Saxon church that occupied the spot (mentioned in Domesday).

The Plestor. An area of land, which, in  1271, Adam Gurdon granted  to the prior and convent to hold a market on. They had been granted a market by the gift of King Henry. The land was originally called  ‘La Pleystowe’. They were granted permission to build houses and shops upon it, as long as they allowed the Gurdons passage to a tenement and some crofts at the upper end of the Plestor, near the churchyard.

The Grange

Wakes Museum

The Zigzag

Historic Events:

Swing riot 1830

Famous People:

Click on a name to discover more

Local Names:

Norton

Gurdon

White

Holdaway/Holloway

Maps:

Domesday:

Click here to see Selborne in the Domesday Book

Hampshire Archive:

Click here to see Hampshire Archive search results for Selborne

See Selborne on the Hampshire Timeline

Artefacts

Gilbert White’s book ‘The Natural History and Antiquities of Selborne’  download for free thanks to the ‘Gutenberg Project’

Hampshire Pubs Selborne

The Selborne Arms

Queens

Historic Selborne Walk

There are plenty of guides to historic walks in Selborne Hampshire. This one is available for download from East Hampshire District Council

 

Yew Tree Newton Valance Church Yard

Yew Tree Newton Valance Church Yard

The yew tree in Newton Valance church yard is probably a thousand years old, before the Normans set foot here.

St Boniface and Nursling

St Boniface and Nursling

A man named Winfrith and born in Devon became known as the ‘Apostle of Germany’. The humble Winfrith became St Boniface and his story started to take root in Nursling Hampshire. At Nursling (Bede refered to it as Nhutscelle), where the River Test winds towards the sea, one of the earliest Benedictine monastries was founded….

Wymering Fields Cosham

Wymering Fields Cosham

This image of the  Wymering Fields Cosham, is a reminder of a time when this suburb of Portsmouth was a rural area of farms and fields. To the south of Wymering the mudflats of the tidal shore, it sits tucked under the chalk hills at Portsdown north of Portsmouth. After much reclamation and the passage…

St Simon and St Jude Bramdean

St Simon and St Jude Bramdean

In the ‘valley where the broom grows’, well actually not in the valley but sitting high above it, is the church of St Simon and St Jude Bramdean. You do not glimpse it from the road but this C12th church gazes down on it’s community, well above the winter bourne that floods the road below…

WWI Guy Victor Baring Northington

WWI Guy Victor Baring Northington

In the church of St John the Evangelist Northington, is the wooden cross of Guy Victor Baring, who lost his life in WWI Guy Victor Baring was the son of the fourth Lord Ashburton and MP for Winchester from 1906 – 1916. He was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Cold Stream Guards and lost his…