The parish church of St Mary the Virgin Abbotts Ann was built in 1716 and has been virtually unaltered since then.
With views across meadows and glorious trees surrounding it, the parish church of St Mary the Virgin Abbotts Ann probably looks little different from when it was built nearly three hundred years ago.
The church was built with money that came by way of the sale of an enormous Indian diamond, which made a fortune for Thomas Pitt, governor of Madras. On his return to England he purchased the estate of Abbotts Ann. An earlier church was taken down and Pitt created this brick built church, extolling all the virtues of Georgian design.
The interior has a warm glow with oak paneling and Tuscan columns and hanging high up in the nave are the Virgin Crowns and gauntlets, a custom of Medieval origin still continued to this day.