- Tucked in behind it, a very rare example of a C13th aisled manor hall lies in ruins.
- The house was built in c.1209 by a family called St John, who were related by marriage to the very important de Port family.
- Adam de Port b.1151 was married to Mabel heiress of Oval and her mother was of the St John of Halnaker. Their son John, took the surname St John.
- Adam de Port had rebuilt the church in stone in 1190 and then built themselves a three bayed aisled hall. The thick flint walls were dressed in stone and magnificent, stone dressed columns, loom upwards, giving a very clear vision of how important this house and therefore this family must have been. The holes for the upper floor joists are clearly visible.
- Adam was a supporter of King John and in frequent attendance to him between 1199 – 1212, the period of the rebuilding of the church and the building of the hall
The house has at times also been called King John’s House.