The D-Day window was installed in Portsmouth Cathedral in 1956, a memorial to Admiral Sir Bertram Ramsay
Admiral Ramsay commanded the seaborne forces at Dunkirk in 1940 and Normandy in 1944. There are two windows in the Cathedral remembering both these incredible achievements.
The D-Day window was made by glass makers Edwards and Powell.
The window shows St George, who along with being the patron saint of England, is also the patron saint of soldiers. The arms of Portsmouth and Normandy are depicted and in the centre of the window is the shoulder flash of the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force which was centred on Southwick House in Southwick in Hampshire.
The detail underneath depicts the forces landing on the Normandy beaches on 6th June 1944
‘Out of this nettle, danger we pluck this flower, safety’
This quotation from Shakespeare’s Henry IV, was the inspiration for the nettle and the flower representations in each window.