Category Archives: Buriton

Baptismal Font Buriton

Baptismal Font Buriton

This entry is part 2 of 2 in the series South East Hampshire Fonts

The baptismal font in the C12th church of St Mary’s Buriton, is as old as the church itself. The late Norman font was made from a slab of Purbeck marble and lined with lead before receiving it’s cover (now gone) after the 1234 edict requiring all font basins to be covered. Continue Reading