The baptismal font Buriton St Mary’s shows well worn signs of it’s long history
Originally at the west end of the south aisle, the baptismal font was moved during the 1950’s to it’s current position. It was carved out of Purbeck marble and it’s worn and chipped surface shows the use and possible abuse during it’s long history. It is a square font and late C12th Norman. The sides remain plain and unadorned. The basin is supported on four quite slender, corner pillars with a central supporting pillar. The basin is lead lined and you can still see the lead insertions on either side of the basin which would have held the staples to padlock the lid in place. That lid has now gone and the present lid was a gift from Holy Trinity Church in Aldershot, presented in 1928.
Our intention is to map as many Hampshire baptismal fonts as possible. Go to the post Hampshire Baptismal Fonts to see a list of those added to date.